102nd Cavarly Group
Normandy (w/ Arrowhead) // Northern France // Ardennes // Alsace Rhineland // Central Europe
Commander: Cyrus A. Dolph, COL, INF
The 102d Cavalry Group (mecz), commanded by Colonel Cyrus A. Dolph, III, Infantry, consisted of the 38th and 102d Cavalry Squadrons, was assigned to the First Army and attached to V Corps during its 3 years overseas during World War II. The 102d Cavalry Group landed on Omaha Beach on D plus 2 as part of the initial force under command of Lieutenant General Gerow (then Major General). The initial operation of the 102d Group was with the 1st infantry Division on a mission of reconnaissance in advance of the division to establish the perimeter of the beachhead. The next principal mission was to protect the flank of the V Corps during its drive to breakout of the beachhead in late July 1944. The group attacked dismounted on the right flank of the corps alongside the 2d Infantry Division. The 102d Group then preceded the infantry division into the city. It then preceded the V Corps north from Paris across Belgium and the northern tip of Luxembourg, reaching the Siegfried Line early in September 1944. The group held defensive positions (dismounted) on the western edge of the Siegfried Line from September 1944 to February 1945. In December 1944, during the Ardennes offensive, the group, “Beat off” repeated German attacks and successfully held a sector in the northern shoulder of the “Bulge.” The 38th squadron was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation for this operation.
The 102d Cavalry screened the flank of the V Corps as it broke through the Siegfried Line in February 1945. The mission of preceding the Corps’ advance to the Rhine River was then resumed. The 102d Group was shifted to the Seventh Army under VI Corps during the Colmar operation, but rejoined V Corps after being away only 2 weeks. The group screened the north flank of the V Corps in its advance across Germany along the southern edge of the Hartz Mountains. It remained in Czechoslovakia after V-E Day until it returned to the United States in October 1945.
This article is extracted from a supplemental student text (undated) written for the US Army Armor School by LTC (Ret) James W. Cooke
The content of this page is the copyright of Louis DiMarco, the webmaster. Any use of this page for commercial purposes must be done with the webmaster's approval. Any copyright material inadvertently displayed on this page will be removed immediately upon notification to the webmaster. The facts and opinions displayed on this web page are the personal work and opinions of the the webmaster and do not reflect the position of any official organizations with which he may be affiliated.