Groups] [4th Cavalry D Day]
Prepared and Loyal
(with Arrowhead) // Northern
France // Ardennes - Alsace // Rhineland // Central Europe
M. Tully, COL, CAV, John C. McDonald,
Presidential Unit Citation
French Croix de Guerrere with Silver Star
4th and 24th CRS
|Cited in Belgian Army Order of the Day for
action in the Ardennes
4th Cavalry Group (Mecz) under the command of Colonel Joseph M. Tully, Cavalry,
and later Colonel John C. McDonald, Cavalry, consisted of the 4th and 24th
Cavalry squadron, and entered combat on 24 June 1944, as a task force consisting
of Troops A of the 4th and B of the 24th Squadrons.
The task force landed on Ille-du-Large and Ill-du-Terre just off the
and near the
mission war to seize and secure the
group. One troop was dispatched to
perform reconnaissance for the 82d Airborne Division and to maintain liaison
between the 82d and the 101st Airborne Divisions.
The group headquarters landed on D plus 6 days.
Both squadron of the 4th Group participated in the battle for
alongside the 4th and 9th Infantry Divisions.
The mission for this operation was the protection of the flanks of the
respective division to which they were attached.
The group was then attached to the 2d Armored Division for the break
through at St. Lo with the mission of screening the flank of that unit.
After the breakthrough, the group was attached to the 1st Infantry
Division with the mission of protecting the flanks and performing reconnaissance
to Mortain. A task force was then
organized that went all the way to Scissions on the
, operating on the south flank
of the VII Corps. The group then
moved to Lammersdorf-Monschau where both squadrons were engaged in defensive
missions facing the enemy in a sector of the Seigfried Line.
The 4th Croup was later relieved by the 102d Cavalry Group (Mecz) in the
Lammersdorf area and ordered into the
the mission was changed to that of an offensive nature as well as closing the
gaps between the regimental combat teams of the 1st and 4th Infantry Divisions.
The 4th Group reached the
about the same time that the
offensive got under way.
of the Bulge, the group had the mission of maintaining contact between the 2d
Armored Division and the 84th Infantry Division.
This was also an offensive operation to stem the tide of the German
was the next step after the
offensive had expended itself
and after the group had been given about a week’s rest during the latter part
of the January.
The next mission was a sector in the attack on the
area during the month of February 1945. The
group then crossed the
and went on the Brilon to participate in the closing of the
pocket. It was then organized into a
task force with additional attachments of artillery, engineers, and infantry, to
mop up the remaining enemy forces which might be holding out in the
the group then performed occupational duties in
forces were withdrawn. The group
operated under VII Corps throughout the war.
article is extracted from a supplemental student text (undated) written for the
US Army Armor School by LTC (Ret) James W. Cooke